go to CONGRESS
FECHA LÍMITE/DEADLINE/SCADENZA: 30/04/2017
FECHA CONGRESO/CONGRESS DATE/DATA CONGRESSO: 26-27-28-29/10/2017
LUGAR/LOCATION/LUOGO: Leriba Hotel & Spa, Centurion, Pretoria (South Africa)
ORGANIZADOR/ORGANIZER/ORGANIZZATORE: Dr Liana Lamprecht; Dr Martine De Marre
INFO: call - email@example.com - John_Talbot@byu.edu
We invite submissions that focus on (but are not limited to) the conference theme “Poverty and Wealth”.
ἅπαντα τῷ πλουτεῖν γάρ ἐσθ᾽ ὑπήκοα. [Aristoph. Wealth 146]
Across the world today there is much discourse around relative wealth and poverty, particularly relating to issues of privilege, class and inequality. Studies on wealth and poverty in antiquity are often centred on the transitional period towards Christianity, but Graeco-Roman antiquity as a whole has much to offer in terms of material for study. Although we are to some extent hampered by the fact that ancient literature, and even material remains, favour the views and lives of the wealthy, there are still many fruitful areas for exploration:
- Representations of poverty and wealth in literature and art
- Links between poverty, patronage and wealth
- Land ownership and wealth
- Transitions: wealth to poverty and poverty to wealth
- Images and metaphors of poverty and wealth
- The role of fate or fortune in views on poverty and wealth
- Actions and motivations towards alleviating poverty
- Material wealth and spiritual poverty
- Idealised poverty
- Differentiations between urban poverty/wealth, and rural situations
- Inequality and social tension
- Political theory and property distribution
- War and conquest and their effects on poverty/wealth.
In addition to the main theme of the conference, we also welcome individual or panel proposals on all other aspects of the Classical World and Classical Reception.
The deadline for proposals is 30 April 2017. Please submit a paper title, an abstract (approximately 300 words) and author affiliation to either Dr Liana Lamprecht (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Prof Martine De Marre (email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org)