CALL. 01.12.2016: Symposium Cumanum 2017: Vergil and Elegy - Cuma (Italy)
FECHA LÍMITE/DEADLINE/SCADENZA: 01/12/2016
FECHA CONGRESO/CONGRESS DATE/DATA CONGRESSO: 27-28-29-30/06/2017
LUGAR/LOCATION/LUOGO: Villa Vergiliana, Cuma (Italy)
ORGANIZADOR/ORGANIZER/ORGANIZZATORE: Micah Myers (Kenyon College); Alison Keith (University of Toronto)
INFO: web - firstname.lastname@example.org
The Vergilian society invites proposals for papers for the 2017 Symposium Cumanum at the Villa Vergiliana in Cuma, Italy.
This conference seeks reassessments of the relationship between Vergil and elegy: from Vergil’s reception of Greek and Roman antecedents, to the role of Latin love elegy in Vergil’s works, as well as elegiac responses to Vergilian poetics from antiquity to the present.
Papers are invited on topics including (but not limited to):
– The influence of Greek elegy upon Vergil.
– Vergil’s engagement with elegy in terms of generic enrichment and mixing.
– The elegiac component of Vergil’s poetics and the role of elegy in the Eclogues, Georgics, andAeneid.
– Elegiac poems that circulated under Vergil’s name.
– Maecenas, Messalla, and the politics of poetry and genre.
– “Silver Latin” interrogations of Vergil’s elegiac engagements.
– Late Antique, Medieval, and Renaissance incorporations of Vergilian poetics into elegy.
– Material culture, Vergil, and elegy.
– Ecphrasis and elegy.
Papers will be 20 minutes long with ample time for discussion. The symposium will include three days of papers, discussion, and visits to Vergilian sites.
Participants will include Sharon James, John Miller, K. Sara Myers, Damien Nelis, James O’Hara, Alessandro Schiesaro, and Sarah Spence.
Interested scholars should send an abstract of no more than 300 words to email@example.com by December 1, 2016.