CALL. 30.04.2017: “Auctor est aequivocum”: Authenticity, Authority and Authorship from the Classical
Prolepsis Association is delighted to announce its second international postgraduate conference whose theme will be the investigation into the concepts of authenticity and authorship of literary and historical texts from the Classical Antiquity to the Medieval and the Byzantine Age.
FECHA LÍMITE/DEADLINE/SCADENZA: 30/04/2017
FECHA CONGRESO/CONGRESS DATE/DATA CONGRESSO: 26-27/10/2017
LUGAR/LOCATION/LUOGO: University of Bari (Bari, Italy)
ORGANIZADOR/ORGANIZER/ORGANIZZATORE: Elena Barile; Roberta Berardi; Nicoletta Bruno; Martina Filosa; Luisa Fizzarotti
This year our conference is particularly keen on – but not limited to – the following topics:
• Authorship, pseudo-epigraphy and ancient ghost writers.
• Corpora and spuria
• Forms of sphragìs and autographs
• Ancient and modern interpolations
• Ancient and modern forgeries and ways to unveil them
• Borders between fakery and non authenticity
• Ancient editions and authorial philology
• Anonymous texts, adespota, unsuspicious authors and attributions in modern scholarship
• “Il copista come autore”: notable colophons, famous scribes and scribal interpolations
• Ancient terminology for authenticity and authorship (ἀλλοτρίος, ψευδεπίγραφος, spurium…)
• Anonymous texts perceived as authorial and authorial texts perceived as anonymous
• Catenae and centos
• Copyright and Open Access Classics.
The participation in the conference as speaker is open to postgraduate students and early career researchers. To participate is necessary to send an e-mail to email@example.com by the 30th of April 2017 .
The e-mail must contain the following pdf attachments:
1. An anonymous abstract of approximately 300 words (excluding references) and in English. You should specify if the abstract is for an oral presentation or a poster.
2. A short academic biography with name and affiliation. Papers should be 20 minutes in length plus 10 minutes for discussion.
The languages admitted for the presentation are English and Italian. Selected papers will be considered for publication. Italian speakers will be required to provide an English handout and possibly a translation/translated summary of their paper. Proposals for coordinated panels and posters are most welcome.
Expenses for travel and accommodation will not be covered. For any enquiries write to firstname.lastname@example.org, we would be glad to help you find solutions.