go to CONGRESS
FECHA LÍMITE/DEADLINE/SCADENZA: 30/05/2017
FECHA CONGRESO/CONGRESS DATE/DATA CONGRESSO: 23-24/11/2017
LUGAR/LOCATION/LUOGO: Faculdade de Letras, Universidade de Lisboa (Lisboa Portugal)
ORGANIZADOR/ORGANIZER/ORGANIZZATORE: Paulo F. Alberto (Univ. Lisboa); David Paniagua (Univ. Salamanca); Rossana Guglielmetti (Univ. Milano).
INFO: web - Lisbonworkshop17@letras.ulisboa.pt
This workshop aims at fostering and promoting the exchange of ideas on how to edit Late-Antique and Early-Medieval texts. By presenting case-studies, participants will be encouraged to share the editorial problems and methodological challenges that they had to face in order to fulfil their research or critical editions. Troublesome issues will be addressed like how to edit, for instance,
- an 'open' text or a 'fluid' one (as in the case of some glossaries, grammatical texts, chronicles or scientific treatises),
- a Latin text translated from another language, like Greek, or bilingual texts (like some hagiographic texts, hermeneumata, Latin translations of Greek medical treatises, etc.),
- a text with variants by the author or in double recensions,
- a text with linguistic instability,
- a collection of extracts,
- a lost text recoverable from scanty remnants or fragments,
- a text transmitted by a codex unicus or, on the contrary, a text transmitted by a huge number of manuscripts,
- a text with a relevant indirect tradition,
- homiliaries and passionaires as collections of selected texts.
Attention will be devoted as well to different aspects of editorial practice and textual criticism.
The papers should be 30 minutes in length and will focus on the edition of late-antique and early Medieval texts, in particular on editions currently in preparation, forthcoming or recently concluded. The scientific committee will select a number of proposals to be presented and discussed during the workshop. The papers can be presented in English, French, Italian and Spanish.
An abstract of around 200 words, including the name, institution and email, should be sent before May 30 2017 to: Lisbonworshop17@letras.ulisboa.pt.