go to CONGRESS
FECHA LÍMITE/DEADLINE/SCADENZA: 20/12/2017
FECHA CONGRESO/CONGRESS DATE/DATA CONGRESSO: 24/02/2018
LUGAR/LOCATION/LUOGO: Brock University International Centre (St. Catharines, ON, Canada)
ORGANIZADOR/ORGANIZER/ORGANIZZATORE: Brock University, Department of Classics
INFO: call - firstname.lastname@example.org
The Department of Classics at Brock University invites abstract submissions for the upcoming graduate student conference: Entertainment and the Expression of Identity in Greco-Roman Antiquity.
All abstracts should be under 300 words sent to email@example.com.
The deadline for submissions is December 20, 2017. Successful submissions will be notified by January 15, 2018.
In an increasing globalized world, identity has become vital to the understanding of the structures of society and the role of the individual. The exploration of identity in an ancient context allows for a more comprehensive view of self-perception and expression. Entertainment and spectacle serve as venues for the expression of identity, as can be seen through literary, historical, and/or archaeological evidence.
Potential paper topics include:
• Questions of gender identity and fluidity in sport and performance
• Theatrical performances and performance space
• Poetry, tragedy, comedy, epic, oratory
• Materiality of theatre
• Archaeology of spectacle, props, and depictions of performance
• Athletics (sport and entertainment based competition)
• Topics of identity: community, class, ethnicity, language, culture, gender
• Reception of performance