Seminar "Introduction to Aetius’ world" - 21-22-23-24-25-26/07/2018, Berlin (Germany)
Who is Aetius Amidenus? During this seminar, we will try to answer this question by introducing the participants to the skills necessary for reading the manuscripts of Aetius
FECHA CONGRESO/CONGRESS DATE/DATA CONGRESSO: 21-22-23-24-25-26/07/2018
LUGAR/LOCATION/LUOGO: Berlin (Germany)
ORGANIZADOR/ORGANIZER/ORGANIZZATORE: Dr. Irene Calà ; PD Dr. Mathias Witt INFO: call
This seminar is open to students and scholars who would like to improve their skills. There is room for up to 10 participants. Each participant must be able to read ancient Greek, but a familiarity with manuscripts is not required.
Please send your request of participation along with a short CV by 10 July 2018 to email@example.com
Who is Aetius Amidenus?
During this seminar, we will try to answer this question by introducing the participants to the skills necessary for reading the manuscripts of Aetius:
• An overview of Greek medicine: Greek compilations and the excerpting technique of Aetius
• A general introduction to Greek manuscripts, most importantly notions of paleography and codicology
• An overview of Aetius’ manuscripts, dated from Xth century and XVIth century
• Practical excercises with a selection of Aetius’ manuscripts in order to become familiar with different handwritings from Xth to XVIth century
• General introduction to the guidelines of text criticism: from the manuscripts to the critical edition
• Practical exercises “editing Aetius”: tables of collation, different kinds of critical apparatus, the role of the philologist
• Practical introduction to digital tools: databases and software.