CALL. 30.01.2019: Geology and archaeology of gypsum: from lapis specularis to plasterwork (GeoArcheo
The Assessorato Beni Culturali e all’Identità Siciliana invites allthe participants across the globe to attend the conferenceGeoArcheoGypsum2019 - “Geology and archaeology of gypsum: from lapis specularis to plasterwork”, which is going to be held at Agrigento(Sicily, Italy) from 26 to 28 September 2019. The conference explore the fascinating world of natural gypsum and its various applications in art through time, such as the Roman lapis specularis used in the windows at Pompeii, the alabaster in the Etruscan world, the selenite and alabaster in ancient Greece and the imitation of precious ornamental stones in the baroque art throughout Europe.
FECHA LÍMITE/DEADLINE/SCADENZA: 30/01/2019 (abstracts) ; 30/03/2019 (articles)
FECHA CONGRESO/CONGRESS DATE/DATA CONGRESSO: 26-27-28/09/2019
LUGAR/LOCATION/LUOGO: Agrigento, Sicily (Italy)
ORGANIZADOR/ORGANIZER/ORGANIZZATORE: The Soprintendenza Beni Culturali e Ambientali di Agrigento
INFO: PDF - firstname.lastname@example.org
The congress sessions will be held on September 26th and 27th followed the 28th by an excursion to visit the necropolis excavated in the gypsum rock of Santa Elisabetta and Sant'Angelo Muxaro and the The Valley of the Temples (AG). It is possible to propose both oral and poster presentations (which may be published) in the following sessions:
1) NATURAL HISTORY OF GYPSUM – geology, nature and provenance of gypsum used in art and architecture. 2) ARCHAEOLOGY OF GYPSUM – gypsum in archaeological contextes: ornamental stone, alabaster, lapis specularis, etc.
3) HISTORICAL AND ARTISTIC USE OF GYPSUM – Plaster, stucco, imitation of ornamental stones, etc.
4) MAN AND GYPSUM – The traditions of gypsum quarrymen, stonemasons and plasterers.
The deadline for the submission of abstracts and articles (to be sent to the address: email@example.com) are:
- 30 January 2019 for the abstract (maximum one A4 folder).
- March 30, 2019 the full article (maximum 10 pages including images).
We are waiting for you in Agrigento!